As a few of you might know I’m not a major fan of gaming original systems but also like to dabble in the dark art of emulation. Yes, I know many purists will be hitting the back button in disgust — however I am of the opinion that emulation has a location in every retro gamer’s lifetime. Emulation enables you to encounter games in near pixel-perfection which you will not ever be able to manage or find and by a historical perspective it is a great way to archive and catalog names that would otherwise vanish.
My pick of emulation instrument is a self-modded first (some call it’classic’ now) Microsoft XBox. I have been asked on many occasions on how to mod an XBox and what exactly a modded XBox is, therefore in this set of posts I will show you the capacities of my two units and explain to you just how to begin getting your ownpersonal.by link xbox 360 roms website
I chose to use this particular hardware after stumbling across websites run by enthusiasts and finding just how large the XBox mod landscape still is and exactly what a capable machine they’re for emulation purposes. Almost every emulator ever made has been ported to XBox and in the majority of cases continues to be enhanced still further by fans with the inclusion of video collections and art. Of course it is possible to use an XBox as a wonderful networked Media Centre plus it does a lot more things aside but as this can be RGC I will focus on the topic of retro console and computer emulation.
1. The XBox is relatively simple to unleash your self (soft-modding a Conventional 8gb XBox takes moments as Soon as You know how and have the tools/software)
2. The device fits beneath your telly, including a PC
3. A timeless XBox is economical, I noticed them being sold with a controller for #14.99 recently at my regional GameStation. EBay is another fantastic source of cheap XBoxes.
4. Unlike a Xbox 360, the first Xbox is quite reliable — nearly bombproof. The developer scene is still going strong and fresh variations of favorite emulators are published weekly
A modded XBox has the following advantages:
1. Region free games and DVD
2. Ability to run in HD (720p and even 1080p)
3. You can upgrade your HDD to something bigger
4. You can save your DVD movies and matches to your HDD and play from there (quicker loading times)
5. Ability to use a mouse and keyboard (good for all those point and click adventure games )
6. Massive development landscape resulting in hundreds of ported emulators and utilities
7. Fully networkable over LAN with any other devices you have
8. Great alternative to a PC at a home arcade cabinet installation
9. Once the HDD is updated they create decent Network Media Centres (XBMC)